God is at Work Amongst Refugees in Europe.
Not all the news about the hundreds of thousands of refugees and migrants entering Europe is good news. But the following report shows that, in the midst of the suffering, something remarkable is happening.
As a Muslim from Iran, Javad didn’t know any Christians and didn’t own a Bible, though he had heard some Christian satellite radio. Then in 2008 he migrated to Athens, and a roommate asked him to come to an Iranian church.
Javad had never heard of such a thing and, being curious, he went along. There, in a small, unremarkable rented room, he heard the gospel and gladly received Christ.
Now Javad is sharing the Jesus he met with other Muslim refugees in Greece. Every day he visits a refugee centre, a park or coffee shop to share the good news with Iranian and Afghan refugees.
He says that, each day since he arrived, he knows of two or three Muslims who have trusted in Christ. Working at a refugee centre that provides practical aid, Javad says more than 2,000 Muslims at there have turned to Jesus in the last eight years.
As a result, and becasue many refugees remain on the move, an informal network of new churches for Muslim converts has begun spreading in Britain, The Netherlands, Germany, and elsewhere.
One church in Berlin has seen 1,200 Muslims come to Christ in just three years, most of them Afghans and Iranians. Meanwhile, at a Persian church in Hamburg, more than 600 Pakistanis and Afghans recently lined up to be baptised during one service.
There are many more “hidden” stories – each one remarkable in its own way, so may this encourage us to keep praying, knowing that God is at work, even in the darkest of situations.
- Give thanks for the many Muslim background believers amongst refugees in Europe. Pray for the Holy Spirit to continue to move amongst these needy people and draw many more to know His love and grace.
- Pray for these new Muslim background believers in Europe to stand firm in their new found faith in Christ, and to grow into committed followers of Jesus.
- Pray for their protection in refugee centres,as they are often targeted for persecution by other fundamentalist Muslims.
- Pray for the established church in Europe to be strengthened and encouraged by the new believers, as well as being empowered by the Holy Spirit and willing to reach out to more Muslims and to assist the new converts their faith.
- Pray especially for Muslim radicals to come face-to-face with the love of Jesus and respond to the truth of the Gospel. Percentage wise, there are more radical Muslims becoming followers of Jesus than non-radicals.
John 12 vs 32: “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.’“