The UN has urged the Syrian government, Russia and rebel groups to immediately allow food deliveries to besieged areas of eastern Aleppo, issuing a bleak warning that the 250,000 civilians still trapped in the divided city are at risk of mass starvation as the winter sets in.
Jan Egeland, the head of a UN-backed humanitarian task force for Syria, told reporters on Thursday that the last remaining food rations were currently being handed out in rebel-held eastern Aleppo and there would be nothing left to distribute next week without a resupply.
“I don’t think anybody wants a quarter of a million people to be starving in east Aleppo,” Egeland said, referring to the number of civilians the UN says are living under siege.
He urged all sides – the regime, its key ally Russia and the opposition fighters – to grant humanitarian access, adding that with winter approaching it was the only way to avoid mass starvation.
The UN official also said he was confident access would be possible after four months of deadlock because “the consequences of no help and no supplies will be so catastrophic I cannot even see that scenario”.
Egeland also warned that the incoming cold weather will be “a real killer” and said the UN urgently needed approval for its eastern Aleppo relief plan.
The plan includes the delivery of both medical and food supplies, as well as medical evacuations and deployment of medical personnel.
- Pray for Aleppo and Syria, as the war drags on with little sign of ending. Pray for aid convoys to be allowed to deliver food and medical aid to east Aleppo, and for these aid corridors to remain open over the coming winter.
- Pray for agreement to the UN relief plan, allowing not only delivery of aid, but evacuation of those in need of medical help.
- Pray for Christians in Aleppo, for encouragement and faith to continue to be channel of hope and life to those around them, and for the Church to be a beacon of light in this besieged city.
- Pray for many to come to faith in Jesus Christ as Lord in Aleppo and across the nation of Syria.
- Pray for an end to the war that has so ravaged this nation and its people.
Deuteronomy 10 vs 17 – 18: “For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who is not partial and takes no bribe, who executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and who loves the strangers, providing them with food and clothing“