Egyptian Christians Executed in Libya.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has released a video claiming to show the execution of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians, all of whom were kidnapped in Libya in January of this year. The video, titled “A message signed with blood to the nation of the cross”, says the killings were directed at “the hostile Egyptian Church”, and one of ISIL’s group stated that they were revenge for “Muslim women persecuted by Coptic crusaders in Egypt”.
The Egyptian President has called for an urgent meeting of Egypt’s top national security and declared seven days of mourning in the wake of the killings.
Libya has been sliding into chaos ever since Muammar Gaddafi was overthrown and killed three years ago. Attempts to form a stable government since then have failed, as tribal factions battle amongst themselves for power. Taking advantage of the chaos, ISIL have carried out a string of deadly attacks, mostly against Christians in Libya, and culminating in these needless killings, broadcast today.
- Pray for peace and comfort for the families of the Egyptian Christians who have been executed.
- Pray for families of other kidnapped Christians across Libya and Iraq, as they continue to hope and pray for their safe release.
- Pray for the Egyptian government to look seriously at how they can protect Egyptian Christians from further attacks.
- Pray for Libya, that it can find a way forward to stability, peace and good government.
- Pray for members of ISIL who seek revenge against Christians, that they, as with Paul on the Road to Damascus, will have an encounter with Jesus that will open their eyes to the His truth and His Gospel.
Ephesians 1 vs 20 -21: “ God put this power to work in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the age to come.
Source: Al Jazeera