Evangelical Church leaders in Sabah, North Borneo, are resisting the pressure from some political parties to impose Islamic rules to the entire population of Sabah.
Reverend Jerry Dusing, leader of the Evangelical Church of Borneo, stated that “Sharia will not work in Sabah, which is pluralist in nature. We will guard our shores from injustice, unfairness and extremism.”
The evangelical leaders have called the proposal incompatible with the Malaysian Agreement, which defines Malaysia as a secular federation.
According to Reverend Dusing, Sabah has always welcomed harmony between different communities without any religious tensions. However, with the threat of Sharia Law being imposed, many Christians are now fearful that their places of worship will be shut down.
In late June this year, the Chief Mufti of Pahang state in Malaysia, referred to every non-Muslim citizen and those who oppose the inclusion of Sharia law in the legal system as “kafir harbi”. The term is used in the Koran for non-believers and enemies of Islam, and who, therefore, deserve to be put to death.
Reverend Dusing has also been fighting for some time to get permission for the tribal languages of Bahasa Malaysia (used by Christians in Sabah and Serawak) and Bahasa Indonesia to use the word “Allah” to refer to God in their translations of the Bible. Non- Mulsims are currently forbidden to use the term “Allah” in any form.
According to 2010 statistics, Christians in Sabah make up 26.6% of the population, with Muslims being 65.4% of the total population.
- Pray for Malaysia at this time of tension between political and religious leaders.
- Pray that the government will seek to maintain the rights of all citizens to freedom of worship and belief, and resist pressure to bring in Sharia law.
- Pray for Christians in Sabah, and across Malaysia. Pray that they will not fear for their future, but hold fast to their faith and trust ion the One who holds the future in His hands.
- Pray for peace in Malaysia and protection from Islamic fundamentalism.
- Pray for many in this nation to encounter Christ Jesus and for lives and communities to be transformed through the moving of the Holy Spirit.
Psalm 102 vs 15: “The nations will fear the name of the Lord, and all the kings of the earth your glory.”
Source: http://www.asianews.it/news-en, http://www.persecution.org