Election results in Iran could accelerate the Islamic Republic’s emergence from years of isolation, with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani earning an emphatic vote of confidence and reformist partners securing surprise gains in parliament.
Reformist candidates have taken all of the 30 seats in the capital Tehran, while Rouhani and his ally, former president Hashemi Rafsanjani, were the winners in the assembly of experts, which is responsible for selecting the country’s next supreme leader.
This loosening of control by the anti-Western hardliners, who have dominated the parliament for many years, could further open Iran to foreign trade and investment, following last year’s breakthrough nuclear deal.
“The people showed their power once again and gave more credibility and strength to their elected government,” Rouhani said, adding that he would work with anyone who won the election to build a future for this country.
The polls were also seen by analysts as a potential turning point for Iran, where nearly 60 percent of its 80 million population is under 30 and eager to engage with the world following the lifting of most sanctions.
- Pray for Iran in the aftermath of the elections, for peace and for a hope and a future for the people of this nation.
- Pray that the government will proceed with wisdom as it seeks the way forward for Iran and relationships with the rest of the world.
- Pray for Iranian Christians, that they will be allowed greater freedom to worship and be free of persecution and oppression.
- Pray for release of Iranian Christians who are in prison for their faith.
- Pray for the Church in Iran, as it continues to grow, for good resources for discipleship and training of leaders.
1 Timothy 2 vs 1 – 2: “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings should be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity“