Myanmar Opposition Looks Set to Win Elections
Supporters of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi are already celebrating and claiming victory in Myanmar’s parliamentary election.
By midday on Monday, Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy, or NLD, had won about 70 percent of the votes, according to party spokesman Win Htein.
At least 2,000 people braved the afternoon rain in the commercial capital of Myanmar, Yangon, as they awaited the announcement of the results and a possible speech by the democracy icon.
Supporters waved the red flag of the (NLD) party while singing along the campaign theme song, shouting “NLD, we will win.”
Daw Khin Myo Sett, 39, who voted for the first time, said: “I’m very excited. NLD won in my township of Kyi Myin Dine. I hope that they will improve education as well as healthcare and give my children a better life.”
The country’s first openly contested election in decades saw an estimated 80 percent voter turnout.
However, the military government, who handed power to a semi-civilian government in 2011, still dominates politics and 25 percent of seats in parliament are reserved for the army.
In addition, even with a win for her party, Suu Kyi cannot become president. According to the country’s constitution, she is ineligible to lead the country as she married a UK citizen and her children have UK passports.
- Give thanks for peaceful elections across Myanmar on Sunday.
- Pray for the country as the results of the election are announced, for peace on the streets and for all parties to accept the result.
- Pray for the future government, to seek to improve education, healthcare and general living conditions for the many people in Myanmar who live in poverty.
- Pray for the 1.3 million Rohingya Muslims who are considered to be illegal immigrants and could not vote. Pray that the new government will seek to resolve this conflict, and allow the Rohingya freedom as citizens of Myanmar.
- Pray that many in Myanmar, including the Rohingya Muslims, will have life changing encounters with Jesus, and know the truth of His Gospel and grace.
Psalm 67 vs 4: “May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples with equity and guide the nations of the earth.”