Pakistan Government Refutes Rumours of Review of Blasphemy Law.
Earlier this week, various reports surfaced saying that a Senate committee in Pakistan wanted to examine the blasphemy law and look at any changes needed so that the law would be less abused.
However, since word got out about re-examining the blasphemy law, Pakistan’s Minister for Religious Affairs has released a statement refuting the rumour.
Brother Ray of Voice of the Martyrs, Canada, explained: “He said they have turned down all the news regarding the change in the blasphemy law. Various news agencies had been circulating on social media and news reports that were released, that the government is likely to change the existing blasphemy law. [Yousef] said, ‘We have no plan to diversify or modify the blasphemy law.’ He said, ‘The present democratic government is fully determined and affirms to implement the existing law in true spirit. It has no concoction to make any change in the blasphemy law.’”
The blasphemy law has led to the imprisonment of many Pakistani Christians and religious minorities, and anyone who is accused of insulting Islam faces a potential death sentence.
Although there have been several abuses of the blasphemy law, Brother Ray says there are Pakistani Muslims who recognise the abuse and oppose the law.
“We have to be careful when we talk about the Islamic community around the world. One of the things VOM is careful about is we don’t condemn all of the Muslims and call them all radical people. There are Islamic elements that are using this law against Christians, but then there are other Islamic leaders that really have stood up for the Christians who have been abused by the blasphemy law … Muslim judges and judicial people who have stood up for such cases, they have also found themselves either dead or their lives were threatened.”
- Pray for Pakistani believers, for wisdom as they interact with their Muslim communities, because if they are caught in a false blasphemy case, it has huge ramifications for their families, their churches, and their businesses.
- Pray for Christians in prison in Pakistan having been accused of blasphemy. Pray for their protection, for their families protection, and for the false charges to be dropped.
- Pray for those Muslims who stand up for Christians accused of blasphemy. Pray for their protection, and for their voice of reason to be heard in amongst the Muslim communities.
- Pray for the Government of Pakistan to acknowledge the abuses of the blasphemy law, and to take steps to amend this law accordingly.
- Pray for a move of the Holy Spirit over Pakistan, for many to encounter Jesus Christ in life changing ways, and acknowledge the truth of His Gospel.
Ephesians 6 vs 12: “For our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.“