This week, the European Union (EU) and the government of Afghanistan co-hosted the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan, held from October 4th – 5th.
The conference brought together more than 70 countries and 30 international organisations and agencies, with the aim of endorsing a realistic programme of reforms to ensure continued international political and financial support over the next four years.
The conference highlighted the fact that both community development and security remain interdependent challenges for Afghanistan, challenges which require the involvement of the international community, and in particular neighbouring nations.
After almost 40 years of war in Afghanistan, neighbouring Pakistan has some 1.5 million registered Afghan refugees, one of the largest such populations in the world, according to the United Nations refugee agency. In addition, around one million unregistered Afghans are estimated to live in Pakistan.
Last year, Pakistan announced plans to return of all these refugees back to Afghanistan, and there is a rising concern that the return of almost 3 million people would cause mayhem in an already fragile country.
The concerns are that It would stretch limited resources, increase ethnic and religious tensions and exacerbate the violence that is continuing to force many people from their homes.
According to a recent report by the Afghan Government’s Independent Directorate of Local Governance, over 50% of the country’s 384 districts currently face some threat of violence, especially with the ongoing power struggle between the Afghan Government and the Taliban.
- Pray for Afghanistan a country with a history of violence and conflict. Pray that the Prince of Peace will come to reign over this nation, bringing His peace and healing into the hearts and homes of its people.
- Pray for the international leaders and the Afghan Government as they make decisions about Afghanistan. Pray for wisdom, and that they will set realistic goals that will see this nation being able to move forward.
- Pray for Afghan refugees across the world, particularly those in Pakistan, as they face an uncertain future. Pray for right decision to be made for their future, and for protection over these vulnerable people.
- Pray for Afghan believers, for their protection, for encouragement, for access to the Bible in their own language ad courage in the face of ongoing persecution.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will move across this land, bringing rivers of living water to the dry desert, and cause many hearts to be turned to the Hope and Life that is only found through the Living Lord Jesus.
Isaiah 44 vs 3: “For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground;“