Prayer Request for Algerian Believer.
Middle East Concern, along with Christians in Algeria are requesting prayer for a Muslim background believer who is due to appear before a judge on charges connected with blasphemy against Islam.
The 49 year old man comes from the province of Steif, 300km east of Algiers, and became a Christian in 1997.
He was arrested on 31st July, after publishing a message on social media about the light of Jesus overcoming the lie of Islam and its Prophet. He also published photos showing the execution of a civilian by an Islamist terrorist. Material which he published was judged to be insulting to Islam by the authorities.
According to its constitution, Islam is the state religion in Algeria, and insulting Islam and the Prophet are crimes according to the Algerian penal code and the Algerian media law.
After his arrest, the believer appeared before a prosecutor, was detained and is due to appear before a judge today, August 7th. His family has appointed a lawyer for him, and a human rights organisation has engaged another lawyer to monitor the case.
The human rights organisation has condemned the arrest and says it will seek to mobilise public opinion against the trial.
- Pray for this believer, his family and church, that they will experience the peace of Jesus and the comfort of the Holy Spirit at this time.
- Pray that this man will be speedily released, especially as he suffers from a chronic illness and his health may deteriorate if he remains in detention.
- Pray for laws in the Middle East to be changed, so that freedom of expression and freedom of religion are upheld.
- Pray that the local authorities will stop their attempts to intimidate Christians, and that the church in Algeria will grow and continue to witness throughout the country.
- Pray for peace and justice in Algeria, and that Christians will be allowed their fundamental rights.
Psalm 142 vs 7: “Bring me out of prison, so that I may give thanks to your name. The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me.”