What Religion: Buddhist
What are their beliefs?
Unlike the majority of the population of Thailand, who are Buddhist, the Pattani are Muslim. They closely adhere to Islamic law, or sharia, which is taught in the traditional Islamic schools, called pondoks. According to Islamic doctrine, there is only one god, Allah, whose prophet, Mohammed, came to instruct the followers of Islam. Their book of sacred writings is called the Koran.
Islam is one of the three major world religions. There are five essential “pillars” or duties in Islam: affirming that Allah is the only god and that Mohammed is his prophet, praying five times a day, giving alms generously, fasting during Ramadan (the ninth month of the Muslim year), and making a pilgrimage to Mecca.
What are their needs?
The Pattani way of life is based on survival. They are not benefiting from the development of large industries in their provinces. In fact, as these industries continue to expand, the Pattani are being pushed farther and farther out of the markets. Agriculturists are needed to teach the small-scale land owners how to get the most out of their land.
The greatest need of the Pattani is for Jesus Christ. The Jesus film and the New Testament are available in the Melayu Pattani language; however, the Pattani remain marginally Christian. Prayer alone has the power to break down the walls that separate the Pattani Malay from the Truth.
- Ask the Lord of the harvest to send forth laborers into Thailand to minister Life to the Pattani Malay.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to grant wisdom and favor to missions agencies focusing on this people group.
- Pray that God will reveal Himself to the Pattani Malay through dreams and visions.
- Ask the Lord to save key leaders among the Pattani who will boldly declare the Gospel.
- Pray that God will protect the Pattani believers and grant them boldness to share Christ with their own people.
- Ask God to raise up prayer teams who will begin breaking up the soil through intercession.
- Ask the Lord to bring forth a triumphant Pattani Malay church for the glory of His name!